If you feel your value lies in being merely decorative, I fear that someday you might find yourself believing that’s all that you really are. Time erodes all such beauty, but what it cannot diminish is the wonderful workings of your mind: Your humor, your kindness, and your moral courage. These are the things I cherish so in you. I so wish I could give my girls a more just world. But I know you’ll make it a better place." -- Marmee, Little Women”
― Louisa May Alcott, Little Women
Little Women. Is my all time favorite movie. It comforts me when I am sick, feeling sad or reminiscent of my childhood. I grew up with my mother watching all sorts of "old fashioned" shows like anne of green gables, little house on the praire, and little women. I have been thinking a lot about growing up, what we deem as most important. Life is hard, short, full of experiences that test, tear me down, make me grow, and make me more understanding and compassionate towards others, less judgemental and make me want to enjoy life to the fullest (WANT to) I find it hard to control my temper, anxiety and the constant daily pain I am in. But that is what makes me realize how important our relationships are, important to not just look at a person and the choices they make, the statements they make, or how they look. There is so much to every human being that makes them up that we will never understand. We can never walk in someone else's shoes and will never full understand why they are the way they are. I know all too well how body image can affect how one interacts with others and treats oneself. After having a (colicky) child, an insanely hard recovery and health issues I have realized that generalization statements are just that. A generalization and no one knows why people do the things they do or don't do. I know that as time goes on I will not look the same and I should enjoy my body, take care of it as much as I can. I have felt very depressed about my after-child body that gained excessive amounts while pregnant and I have yet to lose. I have been having health issues ever since she was born and have changed a lot and my dear husband has been there for me through it all. I don't love other's because they are perfect looking, I love my family and friends because of the time I have spent with them. The time they have spent WITH me, helping me, bearing me up, and just being there to listen to me vent (and I can talk A LOT). Life is hard and who we are on the inside is what really matters. I really wish that young women would understand this and I really hope that I raise Capri to recognize that she is beautiful inside and out and that as time goes on her importance as a person and capability to touch others will not diminish but grow as she learns to love others no matter their outward appearance or any physical disabilities. I grew up with a mother that had one arm and raised 3 children and did a wonderful and absolutely amazing job. It was not until I was a mother of a newborn baby that I even stopped to think about how hard that would be. She could change my daughters diapers, clothe her, feed her, make bottles and I barely felt like I had the two hands to do the job. I asked her how she did it all, I watched her change my daughters diaper and still do not understand how she could do it better than I did. I never noticed growing up, she didn't complain and didn't make it stop her. I have realized we ALL have something. It may not be apparent, visible to others but it doesn't make it any less of a trial or problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment